Red lentils are a storage cupboard staple in my onion. They are so versatile and be placed in almost anything. For us vegans lentils are protien heaven.
Health beniftis of Lentils:
- Lentils help to reduce blood cholesterol – this is due to it being high in fibre
- Good source of protien
- Healthy way to increase energy if you are on a low carb diet
- Stabilises Blood sugar levels if you suffer from diabetes type 2 – (diet induced diabetes)
- 100g Lentils
- 50g of green peas
- 1 red onion
- 1 celery stick
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 medium sweetpotaos
- 1 spring of chopped parsely
- Chopped tomatoes – 3 large
- Juice of a lime
- 5 liters of boiling water
- 1 tsp tomato puree
- Pinch of salt
- Black pepper
Cook the lentils in 1 liter of boiling water till they have fully soften
On a medium heat, with rapeseed oil pan fry the onion and celery for 2 minutes
Add the chopped tomatoes, garlic, cumin, paprika, peas, black pepper and salt. Reduce the heat at this point and cook for 5 minutes. After Add 500ml of boiling water, 1 tsp of tomato pure an green peas. Leave to cook on a low heat for 10 minutes.
Steam cook the sweet potatoes at this stage. Once softened, mash and add chopped parsley , 1 juice of lime and mix.
Add the cooked lentils into the stew and mix well.
- Low in fat and saturated fats
- Low calorific
- 6g of protien